Thai Massaman Curry. Try this homemade Thai Massaman curry, which is made entirely from scratch. This famous Thai curry is rich and very flavorful. Made with chicken, beef, or lamb, it’s a fragrant yellow curry that incorporates lemongrass and nuts together with other key Thai ingredients.
This thai massaman curry recipe has a very unconventional way of cooking, compared to the Indian cooking methods. The recipe calls for sautéing the chicken in the curry paste and adding the coconut milk first. Next you add the raw onions, boiled potatoes and raw cashews. You can have Thai Massaman Curry using 23 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Thai Massaman Curry
- Prepare 350 g of Chicken Meat (cut into pieces).
- Prepare 300 g of Potatoes (diced).
- You need 4 Tbsp of Cooking Oil.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Tamarind Paste (soaked in 1/2 cup warm water).
- It’s 1 cup of Coconut Milk.
- It’s 1-2 Tbsp of Palm Sugar.
- It’s of [Marinade].
- Prepare 2 pinches of Salt (or more).
- It’s 1/2 tsp of White Pepper (or more).
- You need of [Massaman Spice Mix] – ground well.
- You need 1 pc of Cinnamon Stick.
- It’s 5 pc of Cardamom Pods.
- You need 5 pc of Cloves.
- Prepare 5 pc of Black peppercorns.
- It’s 1 tsp of Cumin Seeds.
- It’s of [Curry Paste] – processed in a blender.
- It’s 30 g of Red Chillies (deseed).
- It’s 30 g of Green Chillies (deseed).
- Prepare 40 g of Garlic.
- It’s 40 g of Shallots.
- It’s 20 g of Finger.
- You need 20 g of Galangal.
- It’s 1 tsp of Shrimp Paste.
Stir all the ingredients and cook on medium low heat. Massaman Curry Recipe (Thai Muslim Curry) Massaman curry is a unique type of curry amongst the various Thai curries because it is more like an Indian curry using mainly dried spices for seasoning. Chicken is the most popular meat in this curry in the West but beef, lamb or even mutton is more common in Thailand. Thai massaman curry is an adaptation of Malaysian & Indian curries incorporating potatoes, cumin, and coriander prevalent in those cuisines.
Thai Massaman Curry step by step
- MARINADE; season the Chicken with Salt and Pepper and set aside for 30 minutes or more..
- CHICKEN: heat 4 Tbsp of Cooking Oil until hot. Sauté the Spice Mix for 1 minute. Then add the Chicken and coat well. Cook the Chicken until brown all over..
- PASTE & POTATOES: add the Curry Paste and Potatoes. Mix well and cook until the oil separates..
- LIQUIDS: then add in the Coconut Milk, Tamarind Juice, Palm Sugar and mix well. Bring it to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring the bottom occasionally..
- FINISH: after 10 minutes, remove the lid, and continue to cook until the gravy thickens. Garnish with Fresh Coriander Leaves and serve with rice..
The southern border of Thailand (formerly Siam) with Malaysia has changed hands a few times. This Thai inspired Massaman Curry recipe includes onions, carrots, potatoes, and chicken simmered in massaman curry sauce and served over steamed rice. It’s easy to make and easy to customize. Here’s another delicious addition to the Thai food cuisine here on TBFS. Don’t miss my other favorites including Drunken Noodles, Thai Basil Beef, and Easy Pad Thai.
Source : https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/3357758-thai-massaman-curry